Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Sweet Bacon wrapped Venison Tenderloin


EZ Dough Wheat Version

2 lbs venison (or other) tenderloin
1/2 lb bacon (Plain, thin-sliced is best)
3 cups dark brown sugar
2 cups soy sauce (regular, NOT low-sodium. You'll want the saltiness)
1/4 cup white sugar (optional for added sweetness)


Mix brown sugar and soy sauce together in a bowl. Marinate in mixture for at least 3 hrs or overnight in the fridge. After marinating, place on a slotted baking sheet with a drip pan or aluminum foil below to catch the drippings. Do not dispose of the remaining marinade. Wrap a piece of bacon around the end of the tenderloin, securing the bacon strip with a toothpick. Repeat this process until the entire loin is wrapped in ten or so bacon "loops". (I had my tenderloin pre-cut into steaks, so I just wrapped each one individually in a slice of bacon). Drizzle the remaining marinade over the loin. You can retain a portion to continue to baste throughout the cooking process if desired (I did this). Place on center rack in over and bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes. (I actually cut the recipe in half this time, and I cut the cooking time to 20 minutes which cooked the meat to about Medium). Remove loin from oven and place directly on a grill over medium-high heat to sear the bacon and outer loin. (Another option is to continue baking in oven for 5-10 minutes. With 10 minutes left, lightly dust the top of the loin with white sugar creating a sweet crust on top of the bacon. Personally I think this would be too sweet, but I haven't tried it). Before serving, cut the loin between each strip of bacon so that each piece of meat has it's own slice of bacon. (Obviously mine look a little different since my tenderloin was pre-cut into steaks

No comments: