Monday, December 8, 2008

Baby Thumbless mittens

Thumbless Mitten for Toddlers
This is my first shared pattern. My daughter has a little pair of mittens that she loves, and I looked at them and said 'I could make something like that'. So this is the result. I have also done a version in the round, but haven't typed it up yet. It's been tested by a novice knitter friend of mine(I taught her:-).
Materials:
I used Red Heart--fun colours and washable.
size 6 or 7 needle, or whatever gives you the gauge

Gauge:


gauge: 4 stitches to the inch (worsted weight yarn)


cast on 28 stitches
work 6 rows of garter stitch (knit every row)
change to stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl the next row)
continue until piece is approx. 3 1/4" (about 27 rows)

Stop such that the next row will be a purl row.


Begin decrease section:


*Purl 2 together, purl 2, repeat from * to end of row
*Knit 2 together, knit 2, repeat from * to end of row
Purl
*Knit 2 together, knit 2, repeat from * to end of row
Purl
*Knit 2 together, knit 2, repeat from * to end of row
You should have 9 stitches.

Cut the yarn, leaving enough to sew up the seam.
Run the yarn through the stitches and draw up tight.
Sew up the seam starting at the top.
Weave in the ends.


Make another the same way.