Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Whole Wheat Bread

OK, I know my sisters and I have posted several whole wheat bread recipes, but I think this is my new favorite! ( And your probably wondering why I am not using nonstick Demarle flexipans since I have been raving about them so much....I am saving up for the loaf pans--I can't wait!) I got this recipe from my friend Kelly. It makes 5 loaves and I use my Bosch, and my Demarle Roul'pat (so it won't stick to the counter) and it really was a breeze to make---and OH SO GOOD!! I let it cool and then sliced it with an electric knife before I bagged them and put 4 in the freezer. This is my new favorite recipe. The bread is very soft and tender! If you make it let me know what you think!
**By the way did you all know the shelf life of wheat (berries) is REALLY long? (like over 20 years) You can buy it a lot cheaper in bulk, just don't forget to get yourself a wheat grinder! Fresh ground wheat is wonderful in recipes and so good for you!


*ACK --don't look too close, I forgot to grease my pans...it was a problem! I need those nonstick ones!!
Yummy, Easy Whole Wheat Bread (5 medium loaves)
submitted by Melanie


3 1/2 cups hot tap water (helps offset the cool can of milk)
1 (12oz) can evaporated milk
3 Tbs instant yeast (like SAF)
2/3 cup oil
1 cup honey (use the same measuring glass as the oil and the honey slide right out)
1 cup white flour
3 Tbs vital wheat gluten
2 Tbs dough enhancer (this is optional--I just happen to have some)
12 cups whole wheat flour (I used white wheat: apporx 8c= 12 c flour)
1 1/2 TBs salt



Grind your wheat (in your electric wheat grinder) while getting everything else ready. Then, using a Bosch or other heavy duty mixer, combine ingredients in the order given, mixing well after half the flour, then add the other half of flour and salt. Add a little extra white flour as needed if dough is too sticky. Knead in mixer for 8 minutes. Dump out dough on your 'Rolpat' or if you don't have one, pour a little oil on your countertop and spread with your hand. Form into a long log, then divide into 5 loaves. Form each loaf into a log shape and place in medium sized nonstick bread pan. Press down the sides of each dough piece to fill the bottom of the pan, leaving the top round and smooth. Let rise in a warm spot until almost desired bread size. (about 1 hour). Bake in preheated 350 oven for 25-30 minutes. Remove from oven to wire racks and brush tops of hot loaves with butter, if desired. Let cool about 10 minutes, then remove from pans and let cool completely before slicing. (if you can wait that long!!)

No comments: