Friday, October 24, 2008

Blueberry Wheat Muffins



Little Red Riding Hood's Blueberry Wheat Muffins

Okay, so I was reading some library books to my 3-year old, Benjamin, and one of our picks this week was Little Red Riding Hood. It was a cute modern-day version, and at the end they had this muffin recipe. I jotted it down, because I thought it would be fun to try it out. And "Granny's secret ingredient" was fascinating. Who ever heard of sunflower seeds in a sweet blueberry muffin? Well, now I know why the wolf in this version was dead-set on stealing those muffins from Little Red Riding Hood! These are so good! I was very pleasantly surprised, because as I was making the batter I was pretty sure they were going to be dissappointing. I've never had a muffin batter that was so THICK. I could hardly stir in the blueberries at all. Since I was using fresh blueberries, it was extra tricky not to smash them in the effort. You'll see what I mean! Anyway, they came out of the oven smelling and looking delicious, and they tasted even better! The secret ingredient - sunflower seeds - add so much to these. Honestly, the salty nutty flavor combine with the sweetness to make such a unique and amazing muffin. Sounds cheesy? I know, I know, but I'm being totally sincere. The sunflower seeds were awesome in this! I really loved these! :) Let me know what you think!

Little Red Riding Hood's Blueberry Wheat Muffins
Submitted by Erin

2 eggs
½ c. melted butter
1 c. sugar
½ tsp almond extract
1 c. wheat flour
1 c. white flour
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 c. blueberries
¼ c. sunflower seeds (Granny’s secret ingredient)

Mix eggs, butter, sugar, and almond extract. Combine dry ingredients (flours, baking powder, salt) and add to the egg mixture. Stir until just combined. Gently stir in the blueberries and the secret ingredient, after making sure that there are no wolves lurking about.
Fill greased muffin tins ¾ full, and bake at 350 for about 20-25 minutes. These muffins taste best when shared.

No comments: